It was called Armistice Day in the South Africa of my childhood. We stopped
everything we were doing at 11 am and observed 2 minutes silence.  And people
stood on street corners for weeks before, selling little cloth  poppies for
one's lapel, to raise money far veterans.And my mother would always recite, at
the slightest opportunity , either one of two poems. I can only remember the
opening lines of each, and neither poet. Maybe someone can help me"

If I should die, think only this of me                Just remembered-
THere is some corner of a foreign field                Rupert Brooke
that is forever England......

and

In Flanders Fields the poppies grow
Between the gravestones, row on row.......

hilary blue