Bonnie and Janet,

I don't know how Remembrance/Veteran's Day is observed in your bit of the
world but here in Australia and Britain it is marked by the playing of the
'Last Post' and the observation of a minutes silence to remember the dead of
ALL wars. The choice of the 11th day of the 11th month is because 11/11/18
is the day WW1 ended. I believe the practice began when in the late teens/
early twenties people began spontaneously  gathering at the cenotaph in
London on the anniversary of the ending of the war to end all wars.

The following is not a poem I would normally send to the list - but as the
thread is already going I might as well:

Remembrance Day

At the eleventh hour we heard the 'Last Post'
through speakers, and every person in the mall
stopped and stood still, as silent as the host
of dead for whom the bugle made its call,
its song of pride and pain and aching sorrow,
of  prices paid before the cost was known
of hope that we won't need to learn tomorrow
the price our fathers paid in blood and bone.
The music stops, we stand in empty silence,
each with our thoughts, our memories, our wars,
our dreams of worlds which never suffer violence
of worlds where no one ever keeps old scores.
The long drawn silence ends with a reprise
and people everywhere awake from peace

(c) Dennis Greene 1999