Murph, my opinion, is that very few people are against religion, or anti-God.
The problem has never been with religion or prayer. The problem addressed by
the removal of religious practices from public schools is the following:
(still my opinion!) : When religion or customs or beliefs are DISCUSSED or
STUDIED in public schools, it is GOOD! When religion etc., is PRACTICED in
the public schools, it makes people who do not practice that particular
"brand", feel either excluded, or worse  yet, included in practices they are
not comfortable with or may even be threatened by.  Due to majority rule in
most areas, and that many areas have a majority of one religion being
practiced, it would follow in many minds, that (for example): If most of the
students in a school are Jewish, they should be encouraged to lead the entire
school in prayer, in Hebrew, and to insist that ALL the students attend these
prayers, read from the Torah,  eat only Kosher food, and go home at night and
tell their parents they are going to practice Judaism in order to fit in and
not feel out of place in front of the other students. If this really was
attempted, the entire school system would erupt in chaos amid lawsuits and
pandemonium.
This is one area where majority rule is not fair to everyone.  A better
choice, to me, is let each individual practice his or her beliefs freely and
without intruding on anyone else's rights to do the same, while in the public
school.  I believe that on this list, anyone who wants to offer a prayer or
ask for one as most of us have, should be encouraged.  More specific
involvement in religion, just like any other non-PD related posting, is best
done offlist, to keep the volume of posting within reason, not to discourage
anyone's right to worship (or not....)
Ken B