Susan,'

You failed to say how large an area of roof is needed. I had my roof
replaced last year, and the cost was substantially less than the money you
are talking.  My house is a two story with approximately 2,500 sq ft of
total space.  The roof area is about 1500 sq ft as I remember.

You did not say where you live. The pitch of the roof makes a difference
too.  Snow areas require a greater pitch.  There is a greater need for
venting in the warmer climes,  The venting at the ridge pole is the best in
my area - I'm just on the south side [good side] of the Mason-Dixon.

You mentioned damage. Cedar shakes can be very good if there is a fairly
steep pitch and a disaster with a flatter roof. I presume the quotes
include repairing / replacing some sheathing, etc. With half or
three-quarter inch sheathing, staples are faster and do a good job. Some
craftsmen think they can do better with roofing nails.

The supervision on the job costs a bit extra. With a good roofer, the
supervisor is essence just collects his fee and does nothing.  With a green
crew or fast-buck/slap-dash workers, a supervisor can be very important.

Will Johnnston
A.P.D.A. DelMarVA Chapter Pres.
4049 Oakland School Road
Salisbury MD 21804 USA 410-543-0110