Susan--This is really weird.  We just found out this week that we're going to
have to have a new roof.  I called Home Depot and got a free estimate.  I had
two leaks that I wanted to have repaired, but it turns out that whoever did
the job on the roof years ago (before we ever bought the house) didn't do the
job right, Bottom line, we need a whole new roof.  The man from HD examined
the whole roof and t hen sat down and told me what was wrong and exactly what
they could do to fix it--including cutting in new vents.  My sister called
while he was here and ended up sending him down to check out her roof.  We
haven't made a decision yet, but out of three roofing companies I called Home
Depot was the only one to come out and take a look.  This is by no means a
promotion for Home Depot.  They just happened to be the ones to come and
their representative sounded, to me, very knowledgeable and was very nice and
courteous.  If you have a Home Depot in your area, you might want to give
them a try.  I don't know what size roof you have, but the price I got was a
LOT lower than the ones you mentioned.  Hope this helps.  Eleanor