-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Marty Polonsky
Sent: Friday, November 12, 1999 9:36 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Trunkeal dystonia

Hey List,
Please hear me out:
For the last few years, I have had tendencies to lean significantly to the
right--with my whole body--and to experience an overpowering gravitational
pull, also to the right. The pull sometimes literally pulls me to the
ground,
and has caused me to fall out of chairs, and the pull and the leaning have
both led to a generalized loss of balance which, in turn, has resulted in
many falls, some of them quite nasty--eg the one that opened up a gash on my
forehead that required multiple stitches by a plastic surgeon to close, or
the recent one which broke  six ribs--most painful!  Anyway, two neuros whom
I respect have now suggested to me that my leaning and sense of being pulled
are instances of "trunkeal dystonia" which cam be caused by sinemet, just
like dyskinesia.  The proposed remedy for this. Is to wean me off--or down
a minimal level of-sinimet, and to replace it with klonapin. Now, after
having PD for 13+ years, subscribing to--and reading--the  List,
participating actively and regularly in 4-5 support groups, and attending
every PD conference or symposium  that's come along (and, living in LA,
there
have been more than a few of these), I have never heard of trunkeal
dystonia,
.nor of the concept that sinimet causes dystonia (in fact, this is somewhat
confusing to me, in view of the fact that the dystonia which I have had in
my
shoulder for the last 2 years is relieved. by sinemet).  I just want to know
if any of you have heard of any of this , or if you have any thoughts about
it.  Lastly, has any of you experienced anything like this?  I welcome your
input.
Marty Polonsky
..

.