Jacob,

 I had  STN DBS implanted May 18 at Rush Presbyterian in Chicago with good
results. I now do not use my wheelchair at all and walk with a walker
probably because of residual of polio which made my gait bad even prior to
the surgery.  As Marty says it is not that bad surgically and it sounds like
the ideal procedure for you since your cause for your Parkinson's syndrome
is different than most of us with PD.  The effect is the same but the cause
is different and theoretically it may help.

The problems with adjusting the stimulator is a different thing however.  It
took about 3 months to get the adjustment to a reasonable level where it
would work for more than  a week or 2 without fading.  You have to hang in
for a long time before you get major-long-lasting benefit at least the way
it is done here in this country.

Check with your insurer early since they are likely to reject it a few times
but hang in there with the fight and you stand a good chance of winning with
your doctor's support.

Congrats on your engagement. I am also sending you privately info on a list
that deals with people with DBS implants and info about a person who had a
bad experience and its resolution.

Charlie

Start with