In a message dated 11/12/1999 8:36:38 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I have never heard of trunkeal dystonia,
 .nor of the concept that sinimet causes dystonia (in fact, this is somewhat
 confusing to me, in view of the fact that the dystonia which I have had in my
 shoulder for the last 2 years is relieved. by sinemet). >>

Marty -

Sinemet definitely causes dystonia in some people.  Dick's primary side
effect from Sinemet was dystonia, not dyskinesia, and it occurred at a very
low dose.  That was one of the things that made him a candidate for DBS.

It's not uncommon for PWP to lean to one side or another.  I don't know if
you'll find anything in the archives about this, but there have been several
discussions about it in the past.  I've never heard of replacing Sinemet with
Klonopin, and would think twice about agreeing to that.  Klonopin won't
replace any dopamine in your system.  I'd think you'd be better off adding
Mirapex or Requip or another agonist.  You should then be able to reduce your
dose of Sinemet.  When Dick added Mirapex, he cut his Sinemet in half, and
got rid of most of the mild dystonia that remained after his surgeries.

Margie Swindler   cg for Dick, 55/18