On Sun 21 Nov, Joao Paulo Carvalho wrote:
> Hi Clare,
>
> Excuse me if I missed something ... but how about those cramps that are produced
> by doing long or heavy exercises without being well fitted for their practice ,
> else the caused by a thermal shock , etc.?  I suppose these are not related to
> the brain behavior ....
> Would dystonia include cramps ?
>
> Best  wishes,
>
> Clare Wilson wrote:
>
> > In a message dated 11/20/99 10:13:51 AM Mountain Standard Time,
> > [log in to unmask] writes:
> >
> > <<  by a sustained muscle contraction, frequently causing twisting and
> >    repetetive movements or abnormal postures and CAUSED BY INAPPROPRIATE
> >    INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE BRAIN.  Unquote
> >   >>
> > Brian, did you read Dr. Fink's statement in the archives:  "Dystonia has
> > little
> > to do with muscles other than the fact that the muscles are affected.  The
> > cause
> > of dystonia is 'central,' an imbalance between the excitatory and inhibitory
> > motor systems within the brain.  With few exceptions, the treatment of
> > dystonia is in the brain:  i.e., surgery on the brain or drugs which affect
> > the
> > brain...."
>
> --
>    +----| Joao Paulo de Carvalho   |------ +
>    +--------| Salvador-Bahia-Brazil |------+

Hello Joao Paulo, seems a long time since we met (Not such a happy subject)
I am finding lots of references since I thought I had made a break-through,
but at least I can still put 2 and 2 together and make 22 !
  Whoever asked the question above, the answer is NO: Dystonia does not include
cramps.

--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>