hi all

At 14:35 1999/11/15 +0100, maryse wrote:
>After downloading some Windows updates ( can't remember which)
>my system went into a sulk also. I then had netscape 4.6. That
>went wrong. So I downloaded Netscape 4.7. At first I had a lot
>of problems. Everything seemed to freeze all the time. Downloaded
>Norton Utilities and let it sort things out. I have lost quite a
>few files but things seem to work at the moment.  Maryse

for maryse and bob chapman

it's sad and frustrating to have to go through such difficulties
when simply upgrading or 'fixing' flaws in software design

in re bubbleboy in particular
the flaw and some patches have been publicly
acknowledged by microsoft since august, as i recall

since they describe the 'patch' as 'fully supported'
would it not be best to review the patch results
with their own tech support staff?

since the Bubbleboy 'worm' virus
mis-uses e-mail addresses as its m.o.,
i would have expected the patch to work in that area as well,
but not to the extent of destroying the existing addresses
at least not without fore-warning to the poor user.

janet
nerdette
who refused to succumb to win 3.1 for two years

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
e-mail - [log in to unmask]
web-site -  http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/