hi all

At 12:12 1999/11/15 EST, cari wrote:
>1.  today's IS a better day, thanks - sort of!
>
>2.  last week, in an effort to fine-tune my dad's med/sched and symptoms
>(sinemet/dysk related), i received some feedback from one member  (thanks!)
>who graphed out the peaks and valleys based on daddy's schedule - it came
>back mostly valleys - which is okay because it can be improved upon -
>
>3.  IS there a way (or ways) to plot out what the doses "should" do based on
>a schedule? (or  the layman's description of ".25 mg of sinemet 25-100 will
>begin their effect in X minutes, peaking at X and slowing down in X" kind of
>thing?
>
>    if so, point me there!
>
>4.  what "graphing" program might you use?
>
>thanks -
>cari

cari

the very best way to track med response
imho
would be for your dad to note how he feels each time

he is the one who experiences the roller coaster
and if he learns to listen to his body's dopamine level messages
he will only benefit more as time marches on and
his response to levodopa becomes more sensitive

it's like listening to a maserati engine
while in the process of a tuneup

for a few days
i kept a running tab on my symptoms every 15 minutes
it was a bit tedious at the time
but ultimately very useful
[and not just for me, but for my doctor as well]

i used a simple rating scale of 1-10 where:
1 = completely off and immobile
5 = virtually normal movement
10 = completely dyskinetic and uncontrollable

an example:

TIME   RATING  MEDS

0900  -  2  -  10/100 sinemet
0915  -  3
0930  -  4
0945  -  5
1000  -  6
1015  -  7
1030  -  6
1045  -  5
1100  -  3  -  10/100 sinemet
1115  -  2  .... etc

by seeing the hills and valleys so clearly
i was able to adjust my med timing a tad more carefully
[half tablets more frequently]
and flatten out the landscape

other factors may affect the timing;
what kind of food and when
and hormone levels in women

but it's interesting to see how they affect the terrain too

janet

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
e-mail - [log in to unmask]