Hi all,

        In general, I might agree that posting a note that was sent to
     me privately to a public list would be bad 'Netiquette.  But,  as
     a list-admin, there are occasions where posting such a message to
     the list does serve a useful purpose.  When I find myself needing
     to do something similar on my list, if I haven't asked permission
     from the sender, I will do what janet did and add  some  type  of
     disclaimer.

        I also think it is bad 'Netiquette to quote the entire text of
     a message that you are replying to on a mailing  list.   I  think
     that  using  anything  but  plain text in an e-mail is bad 'Neti-
     quette. I think that "forgetting" to change the "Subject: " head-
     er  when  a reply is discussing a different subject is bad 'Neti-
     quette. There are more but would it do any good to complain? ;-)

        BTW, I am not of the opinion that janet's  use  of  all  lower
     case  letters (not just the i) does *not* show a lack of self-es-
     teem. IMHO, it is an interesting posting-style that gives  her  a
     unique personality.  I do something similar when I format my mes-
     sages distinctly, use a tag-line, and put some kind of  ASCII-art
     in  my  signature  (which,  BTW, is bad 'Netiquette on my part --
     "signatures" are supposed to be no more than  four  lines  long).
     ;-)

        And,  all  of  this  is -- again -- just my long-winded way of
     saying that if you're going to send a note to a  list-administra-
     tor and you don't want the message posted to the list, you should
     include a line in your message that indicates that you would  ap-
     preciate it if your message wasn't posted to the list or any oth-
     er public forums.

        All this just IMHO as I try to remember how many Internet mail
     list subscribers it takes to change a light bulb?

Bill--
  ...who would give his right arm to be ambidextrous.
.___. William A. ....._..._ .......7177 Heritage Drive+------------- __ -+
..... http://w3.one.net/~wap/ .... [log in to unmask] .......+------------------+