Yes, Joan--hallucinations can be a side effect of PD meds---anything from
seeing "bugs" that really are crumbs to puppies on the floor, people who
aren't there, or in some cases truly frightening delusional stuff.  The
mild hallucinations CAN be a beginning of this process, and meds must be
carefully titrated to balance mobility with mental clarity.  Peter and
others take Seroquel (or other  anti-psychotics) to help control this
symptom.  His neuro says even so he will continue to have some confusion,
but we hope not severe. He usually accepts my statement that" no, no one
has been here this morning," etc.
It would be wise to mention this to your mother's neuro, so s/he is aware
of it.

>What did you mean by "seeing puppies on the floor"?
>
>Are you  a dog lover, or are you just referring to hallucinations?
>
>I ask, because my mother says that she often sees things that aren't really
>there (and no, she does not suffer dementia, although she does have a good
>sense of humour).  She does suffer from dense cataracts (brought on, in
>large part, as side effects of pd drugs) which have recently been surgically
>removed.  We had both assumed that with the new lens implants, her vision
>would improve and subsequently remove her  'extra-curricular visions'.
>
>Are you suggesting that seeing things that aren't there is a pd symptom?
>Please confirm or deny,  and then subsequently forgive my naive question.
>(Hopefully, I just have a really bad sense of humour.)
>
>Trying to get a visual perspective, concerning someone that I love...
>Joan U.

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 81/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

                        "Ask me about the CARE list for
                        Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "