On 15 Nov 99 at 13:49, Cari Barrett wrote:

> now that i've made a fool of myself two days in a row (!) let me get back to
> my mission -

Venting a little spleen is not necessarily making a "fool" of
yourself...

> IF, emphasis on the IF - when you or your partner or family member was first
> diagnosed with PD - and began needing various information & or services
> (other than support groups) -
>
> would it have been beneficial for you have had a "General Contractor" of
> sorts to go to help your pick and choose the services/supplies you needed at
> specific times
> RATHER
> than sourcing out services on your own?

It woulda been all too handy... I yam what I yam from struggling and
discovering for myself and then coping each step along the way...  In
my opinion, it was all a very necessary process to reestablish self
esteem and confident independence....

> i met a woman in san antonio who does this in conjuction with a non-profit
> organization for the aged and wondered if you all would have benefitted from
> something like this -
>
> AND
> do you all see many in your local areas NOT on the internet that are,
> perhaps, having greater struggles because they DON'T know  of tools or
> resources out there to make their lives a little easier?

I've found quietly providing awareness is most effective.  Giving
people a tool they are not actively seeking is not the answer.
They probably won't use it or may not be happy with it.  The freedom
to choose our own solutions is very satisfying so if we are aware of
options we will choose when we're ready, and be happier for it....

I've tried to give people (that I thought could use Internet access)
a free computer.  This turned out to be a waste of my time and
theirs.   Now I just help those who demand it.  It becomes their
choice and they eagerly embrace the whole thing because THEY chose to
do so.

> i eagerly await your responses - properly headed of course - on or off list -
>
> thanks - cari - daughter of. . .

I hope this input is useful .............. murray