Jeanette Fuhr  wrote:

> Michel I applaud your decision to downsize and move you & Barbara to a
> retirement community.  I do wish my parents, dad-85 mom-81, would simplify
> and sell their 3 bedroom with a full basement and 2-car bulging garage and
> move to apartment with 2 bed, 1car garage, screened patio and emergency
> call buttons and dining room available that is next to a LTC facility in
> their neighborhood.  I live 30 minutes away but cannot be there as quickly
> or as often as I'd like.  How did you decide to make this type of move?

We heard about this community for seniors that was being erected in
Springfield,Va  and we decided to look into it.  Barbara was becoming
gradually less capable of managing a home or doing any housekeeping.
The community is planned to comprise somewhat over 2000 people, self contained
with bank, beauty parlor, and grocery shop, operating currently, but so far
the population is about 350, and today we celebrated our first anniversary.
The apartments range from a studio to two bedrooms with two baths, and entry
prices proportionately from about $100,000 to $275,000, which is returnable,
emphasize 'returnable' upon termination of residency.  No other such senior
community offered that.  When we leave, one way or the other, this entry fee
is part of our estate and will be part of our legacy.  We pay a monthly fee of
about $2,300 for two (about $1,500 for a single) that includes ALL utilities
with cable TV ( but no phone), and one meal a day.
I had the company papers reviewed by an attorney, and I asked for the bottom
line 'would you have your mother there?', and he said 'absolutely, yes'.  Our
daughter was strongly in favor, though her husband first maintained he did not
like the idea of an entry fee without interest.  When I explained that the
money from the sale of our house would just be transferred from the house to
the senior residence, he strongly favored too.  Our son was not that inclined,
but with time, knowing that I could not care for Barbara AND a house after
having quadruple coronary bypass, he too went along.
We are probably unique in moving further away from the children, but it's only
and additional 15 minutes.  The seniors here have started a new life here more
so than just being retired.  It is a bright and multitalented community that
goes out and is very active socially and  in the Northern Virginia area.

Is that an adequate explanation?
Keep well.
Michel