-----Original Message-----
From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Barbara Patterson
Sent:   Wednesday, November 17, 1999 11:12 AM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Re: dystonia & smoking

I can certainly verify that Lynda's method works for her.  :)  We had a
visit after the AGM in Ottawa, ON last month and after hopping for a very
short time, Lynda walked out of the room looking like a non-pwp!  What I
have found that works for muscle cramps in my legs and feet is heat...I
use one of those 'magic bag' things...it's a grain-filled bag which is
heated in the microwave & then put on the cramping muscle.  Of course, I
can only do this at home.  If the cramping hits at work, I'll try
stretching the muscle and/or walking it off. I also go for a walk to get
past the times when I would ordinarily smoke...come to think of it, I
don't seem to have as much trouble with muscle cramps since I quit
smoking.  Many thanks to those members who have been so encouraging &
helpful about my new non-smoking lifestyle....every bit helps.  :)  Barb
(Day 9 of non-smoking)

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Lynda McKenzie wrote:

> For tightness in the lower body, and all over for that matter....when you
> can feel your meds just hanging around and not  doing what they're
supposed
> to be doing (and that is -getting you going) try facing a counter and
> putting your hands on the counter top as if you're going to bounce out of
> swimmimg pool.  Its difficult at first, but try lifting one leg, then the
> other, and then try to hop, leaning on the counter.  Little hops, then
> bigger ones, (don't let go of  the counter) and somehow you'll get enough
> steam to loosen you up. *Barb can verify that this works!)
> Lynda McKenzie

Barbara Patterson                               [log in to unmask]
HSC 2J22                                        905-525-9140, ext. 22403
                        School of Nursing