Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD wrote:

> Dear Barb,
> As always, you come straight to the point with grace and compassion. I
> love your posts!
>
> You're the first PWP I've known who has quit smoking, so can't offer any
> proven suggestions. However, I'm sure it must be very stressful,
> and am concerned about stress's effects on PD symptoms. If it's
> possible, I'd consider taking walks whenever you can, for walking is
> rhythmic and increases blood flow and oxygenation to all parts of the
> body including the brain; this may reduce stress. When I quit (5 packs a
> day) it also helped take my mind off the need for a cigarette for a
> little while. I hope you'll let us know how it goes.

5 packs a day? Wow, and double wow! and now you look so svelt.
I kid some folks that I used to be 6ft 4 when I smoked, but had to quit when
I shrunk to 3ft 4, but what I lost in height I gained in width.  Actually,
smoking about 1.5 packs a day reduced my hunger or, as some have suggested,
holding a cigarette in my mouth was the equivalent of a pacifier which kept
food away.  When I quit cold turkey a month or so before the report of the
s(t)urgeon general, I gained 25-30 lbs. within a year, and that weight kept
increasing.
Barbara smoked (question mark) but never inhaled; I think she wanted to be
accepted among her peers in college.
Conclusion: She has PD, but I do not.

I suggested to my doctor that I might resume smoking as a dietary benefit,
and he replied: over youir dead body (meaning mine).  Ergo, I am still
slightly overweight..(OK...shut up).  But, I did buy Godiva ice cream for
Barbara, and almost filled the freezer with Ben & Jerry for Barbara's return
from the hospita.
Bon appetit!
Michel