hi all

kathrynne and i wrote, in part:
>> there is no privacy in cyberspace and
>> no 'laws' governing behaviour
>
> In the United States, the 1978 Copyright Law...
> Canadian copyright laws ...

that is precisely my point
'we' are not in the usa or in canada here
no one nation's laws apply to cyberspace
it is a new frontier
all the old rules are under scrutiny

in any case
the general premise behind copyright is
protection against loss caused by 'stealing' another's property for gain

if someone photocopies a page from your book [with attribution]
and distributes them at no charge to their non-profit pd support group
there is no loss to you, no gain by the support group
and no theft of copyright;

in fact, it could be construed as free advertising for your book

based on the above,
PubMed and NandoNet both assured me a couple of years ago
that posting credited articles of theirs to you lot
was not a problem

the same principle would probably apply to e-mail

in re martha rohrer's message to me
there is no inherent value in it
she could not sell it
i forwarded to a non-profit group at no charge
so once more, there is no loss, and there is no gain

however, since she sent it to me uninvited and unsolicited
and i found the wording offensive as well as false,
i believe that arguments could be made for spam
or misuse of communications or libel
or invasion of privacy

but like i said
this is a whole new world
and a whole lot of existing national regulations
are inapplicable, unenforceable and probably irrelevant

janet

janet paterson
52 now: 41 dx: 37 onset
e-mail: [log in to unmask]