Bonnie Rowley wrote:

> Now I can't find Kathrynne's original post re this but I do believe it said
> the the law from '78 (?) INCLUDED e-mail.
>
> Bonnie

Yes; e-mail, in its early form was available at that time. However,
application of the law to e-mail has become an issue only fairly
recently.

While it is generally considered acceptable to mention and even excerpt
text, crediting or otherwise acknowledging the author, I and others of
my acquaintance strenuously object to private posts being forwarded to a
listserv. It is considered rude at the very least, illegal at worst. I
understand that not everyone is aware of copyright laws, but have a hard
time imagining that it would be thought OK for someone to post a
personal letter of mine on a public bulletin board.
Best regards,
Kathrynne