Sad to say the list has become a dour, forbidding place. The pigs have
hijacked the humour that used to lighten things up a little - the TOPICS
have fragmented things so that de facto minilists now abound, and they have
given us a brand new thing to hit each other over the head with;  not to
mention that when introduced they were intended as a courtesy and are now
starting to be spoken of as a requirement by some voices -  and this latest
religious kerfuffle/debate/dispute/argument (you pays your money and you
takes yer pick) is a classic of its kind with some religious people being
insensitive to the beliefs of others and some non religious people
responding to them with religious fervour.  Oh what fun - makes you glad to
be alive, have Parkinson's, own a computer and be a member of the
Parkinson's Information Exchange.

Some two years ago I wrote an article entitled "A Terrible Beauty" - some of
you may even remember it.  In it I spoke of my pride at being a member of a
community of quiet heroes;  I spoke of the courage which was the dominant
(if unheralded) characteristic of so many with PD. I based that statement on
what I saw in my local community and the wonderful, understated courage I
saw demonstrated daily on this list.  Thankfully I still have the example of
my local community to show me the PWP haven't changed, because this list has
changed beyond recognition.  Today quiet, understated courage is far from
its dominant characteristic - it seems instead to have become whining,
whinging, and self obsessed. This is not a comment on individuals on the
list - they surely are, like my local community, still as they were - but it
is a comment on the list mood which is a product of how we chose to manifest
ourselves. I would like to ask that we all ask ourselves before posting to
the list "is what I am about to send going to help either me or  someone
else on the list" and if isn't don't send the damn thing.

This list has been a positive place in the past - it can be so again in the
future - all it takes is for each one of us to decide to make it so and then
actually taking personal responsibility for the outcome.

Dennis
Dennis Greene 50/dx 37/ onset 32
There's nothing wrong with me that dealing with PD won't fix!
email - [log in to unmask]
Website - http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/
(most recent update -Nov 5, 1999)