In a message dated 11/17/1999 10:37:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
y Mom has hallucinations brought on by Sinemet.  We learned at a
support group meeting that the hallucinations come after seven or eight years
on Sinemet.  She is now on Sinemet CR--minimum dose possible--and Resperidal
for the hallucinations and confusion.  The Resperidal worked for a while, but
doesn't seem to be helping as much now.

Eleanor,
There's a whole class of relatively new anti-psychotic medications, all of
which affect different pipette differently, and most of which are safe for
PD.  The most effective of these is clozaril (or clozapine), which requires
careful monitoring with weekly blood tests for potentially serious side
effects but if you the monitoring protocol faithfully, these are highly
unlikely to occur.  My point is that unlike 5-10 years ago, there are now
several anti-psychotic drugs which can safely and effectively treat psychotic
symptoms in PD patients.  I suggest that you ask your mother's neuro if
he/she has considered other anti-psychotic agents besides respiradol for your
mother, and if he/she has, why were they ruled out.  If you can't get
reasonable answers to these Q's, I suggest that you find another neuro.  Good
luck.

Marty Polonsky, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist