hi all

learning how easy it is to create a fake persona / identity on the net
can result in feelings of betrayal, of confusion, of loss:
betrayal of confidence and of trust
confusion about who the 'players' really are
loss of a sense of community and of safety on the list

this situation can be used as a classic example
of the concepts i've hammered away at in my 'perceptions' posts
viz:

A. our thoughts create our emotions, not vice versa
[remember 'becker pizza', ken?]
and

B. we have a choice as to how we think
and therefore we have a choice as to how we feel

our outlook and our awareness may have changed
but the list and the net are no less 'safe'
now than they were six months ago

i keep reminding myself
i cannot change the way anyone else behaves
i can only change the way i behave
and
i am not responsible for the way others behave [towards me]
i am only responsible for the way i behave [towards others]

some may choose to view the possibility of list-imposters:
1. as paranoia on my part
2. as a sick perversion of the list's intent
3. as a manifestation of someone's otherwise silent suffering

the possible activity is the same in each scenario
the possible response is our choice

steve 'n' me choose three

janet

janet paterson