On 22 Nov 99 at 23:25, Ivan M Suzman wrote:

> FIrst , I know you kind folks are generous and want to solve this problem
> for the moment
> and all that, but  at same time, I feel really awkward.
>
> It's almost better if you folks make pledges to Janet,  in case nothing
> else
> works out, but don't actually send money yet.
>
> What I have asked the City for , many times,is what I am wondering about.
>  COuld the City of Portland "hire" me to work for its health department ,
> its social services department, or its school department, in EXCHANGE for
> my property tax?
>
> Just imagine the work I could do for the approx $200.00 a month that this
> property is taxed.  I could writ PD flyers for the agency on aging, I
> could write public service announcements for the local TV and radio
> stations, I could do in-services with the public health nurses, I could
> help to survey the high-rises for the elderly, to look for persons
> needing treatment, i could work with the street clinic or with the
> clinics at the Hospitals to identify persons in need of possible
> treatment, I could work with those who are trying to open a aPD
> Information Center at Maine Medical Centrer or somewhere in Portland.  I
> could helpdo
> genetic screening llike Boston is doing, or  raise money for PD
> research!!
>
> Or I could usem stage experience and help to host a gala fundraiser for
> Parkinson's  Research.
> It would be another reason to keep my tuxedo ready for multiple uses!
>
> In sum...it seems to me that there could be an understanding instead of a
> property war that is
> draining me, about my taxes and sewer bypass fees, that would be very
> legitimate.

Now Ivan, this makes perfect sense....  what is really necessary is a
"solution" to your dilemma.  It's nice that folks would like to help
pay your taxes but that would just mean that the City would expect
the same thing all over again ad infinitum.......  I believe you did
say this is the fifth foreclosure.   You really need a permanent
answer that would allow a little peace of mind and security.

All the best ................ murray