Date sent:              Sat, 27 Nov 1999 06:23:45 -0800
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   SIR JAMES1st <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                re; William A\attachments
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Bill,
>
>      Not being very technical I didn't fully understand your note. What I
>      thought you said was, when some attachments aren't sent right they
>      come out as code on the other end.

The Internet is based on text, not graphics.  Graphics come as binary
files, not as text.  In order to send a biary file on the Internet, you have
to "encode it" by turning it into text, and then, the recipient has to
"decode" it by turning it back into a binary file.

There are several methods for doing this,  The old method is called
"uuencode", and the current one is called "MIME".  If you have a
MIME-decoder (many e-mail programs have them built-in), you can
easily convert the code back into the binary file (the picture).  If you
don't have that (or if you are receiving the "Digest" form of the List),
all you get is a pile of code (the encoded text).

That is why attachments are forbidden on most Lists (except those
dedicated to graphics), and they are forbidden on the Parkinsn List as
well.  Please, Sir James, and others, do not send attachments.  If you
have a graphic you want to send to someone, ask them (privately) if
they have the means to decode them, and then send such privately.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"