On 27 Nov 99 at 9:24, tom weilepp wrote:

> 2. What IS  the name of the late blue-glasses-man through  whom I stumbled
> into contact with the list?  I have many of his posts on my huge
> compressed correspondence tape files, but I'm having trouble finding them
> without a name. I promise to write a bit about him, when I get the files
> I'm looking for, if some of you don't have any idea what  I'm talking
> about.
>
>                         Tom Weilepp
>                         Shelton, WA, US

Hi Tom ,
I think you're probably thinking of the late Alan Bonander and this
post, (retreived from the archive by searching for "blue glasses" &
scanning the 140 hits).

PARKINSN archive at James
Date:
04/07/95 20:13
From:
Subject:
Blue Glasses

Dear Members,
Many have wondered about the benefits of "Blue Glasses".   Can just
wearing a pair of "Blue Glasses" help those with Parkinson's disease?
If I were to tell you that twice I have had both an asthma and a
dyskinesia attack. Both times I was ready to call 911 when I put on a
pair of "Blue Glasses" and within 5 to 10 seconds both the dyskinesia
and the asthma were gone.  Rita Weeks has written about the man who
had difficulty walking along with other PD symptom problems.  He tried
a strip of blue cellophane to cover his eyes and he walked almost
normal without help.  Rita wears blue glasses as a rule otherwise she
would be severely restricted.  I recently received the following
letter:

 ==================
Alan Bonander 506 Riviera Place San Ramon, CA 94583
Re: Clinical Testing of Blue Glasses And Other Ideas
Developed By Tom Riess

Dear Alan,
Over the past four years, my brother Tom has been investigating and
attempting to develop practical devices to assist those afflicted
with Parkinson's disease in walking more normally. You may have heard
of his use of modified "Blue Glasses" and other more esoteric devices
which appear to be quite promising.    The Parkinson's Institute in
Sunnyvale, CA has agreed to conduct clinical trials of the Blue
Glasses and other devices to determine whether the beneficial effect
of these devices can be scientifically verified and to investigate
further the physiologic basis for the phenomenon. Unfortunately,
research funding is in scare supply. We are attempting to generate
research funds on a "grassroots" basis by requesting contributions
from individuals of $100. These funds are being donated directly to
The Parkinson's Institute as restricted gifts, that is, gifts to be
used for the specific purpose of investigating Tom's ideas. All
contributions are tax deductible.    In appreciation for these
donations, we are sending contributors a pair of the Blue Glasses
similar to those which will be used in the clinical trials. I have
enclosed a convenient form and stamped envelop which can be used to
make this donation. Thank you for your generous assistance. Very
truly yours, Steven Riess

 ==================

Anyone interested in this grassroots effort to raise funds for this
research should send the donation with the following note
attached:

=================

Carole Cassidy
Development Director The Parkinson's Institute
1170 Morse Avenue Sunnyvale, CA 94089-1605
Re: Clinical testing of "Blue Glasses" and other ideas developed by
Tom Riess

Dear Ms. Cassidy:
I understand that The Parkinson's Institute will soon begin clinical
testing of the "Blue Glasses" and other devices developed by Tom
Riess to aid those afflicted with Parkinson's disease.  I would like
to directly support your research efforts by making a restricted gift
in the amount of ________ to be used solely for research efforts of
the "Blue Glasses" and other ideas developed by Tom Riess.  I
understand that this gift is a tax deductible contribution to a
charitable organization.  Thank you for your efforts. Sincerely,
<Your name and address>

 ====================

This should be sent to Carole Cassidy at The Parkinson's Institute
address given above.  For all donations of $100 or more, a pair of
the "Blue Glasses" as used for the research will be sent to you.  So
please include your address. This is very exciting.  Finally Tom will
get some of the credit he so richly deserves. Many of you have seen
Tom on TV in the PBS program or other programs.  The blue glasses
allowed Tom to downhill ski this past winter. This is something he
has not done in over seven years.  Tom will be speaking to the Young
Support Group in Walcut Creek on July 15th. Those interested in
attending should contact me (Alan Bonander 510-828-9599) for more
information. I hope you will feel generous this 4th of July and send
your restricted use donation to The Parkinson's Institute. Regards,
Alan Bonander ([log in to unmask])

I hope this answers your request for info.... if you need help
accessing the archives just ask...

List members note: the above post was pasted from the archive and
originated in 1995... please don't send letters to Carole Cassidy.

Best regards ............ murray