On 27 Nov 99 at 15:28, Mario A. Gonzalez wrote:
> Can someone explain why a person takes mirapex, tasmar, permax, etc., in addition
> to Sinemet?
> Be as verbose as you want.
> thank you,
> Mario A. Gonzalez [log in to unmask]

Well Mario, I'll comment on one example... sinemet and tasmar.
The sinemet acts to relieve the symptoms of Parkinsons by replacing
some of the chemical missing in the Parkinsonian brain - dopamine.
Tasmar is an adjunct medication that allows the best use of the
sinemet - more dopamine actually reaches the brain.  So this
combination potentially allows you to reduce the sinemet or to
increase the time between dosages or possibly both.  Tasmar by itself
is probably of little value.  For me, Tasmar and sinemet meant no
noticeable peak on time and no noticeable off time.  Sinemet by
itself is much more of a roller coaster.

The basic premise of most long term meds is to obtain the best
quality of life over the long haul with the least amount of drugs.
It's a compromise of course.  What works well for one may not work
for another.

We are all individuals and our medications have to be tailored to our
individualities.

Please consult your medical professional before contemplating any
drug combinations.  There may be serious interactions or side
effects.

I hope this simplistic example helps ....... murray