Hi Brenda & all,
I'm sorry you have been having a tough time with the LISTSERV command
structure, but it points out that the machinery lacks any intuition.

The computer has to get the exact command or it cannot interpret your
desires. I've pasted the "here are some tips" part of janet's page...
and added my comments.........

The "To" Header: The listserv has two addresses:
use [log in to unmask] for messages to the PARKINSN
list-members; and use [log in to unmask] for commands to
the LISTSERV computer; incredible as it might sound, it's easy to mix
them up...

The "Subject" Header: This header (and anything typed in
it) is ignored by the listerv computer.
(my comment - simply leave the subject header BLANK)

The "Body" of the Message: This is where the listserv computer looks
for 'commands'
(my comment - type in the appropriate COMMAND only - don't type in
anything else since the machine only interprets a COMMAND and may
reject the whole post if it sees, whatever else you type in, as an
unrecognized COMMAND.  Don't punctuate.  Don't sign your post as the
computer extracts your identity from the unseen header info your
computer generates each time you send an e-mail.)

So, if you wish to stop your mail, send a post as below...

To: [log in to unmask]

SET PARKINSN NOMAIL

That's it - one line - not in the Subject line - in the Body - don't
punctuate the COMMAND - do defeat any automatic signature by
unchecking the box for Signature in your e-mail client software....

It really is straight forward once you get the hang of it but can be
so frustrating and intimidating otherwise....

Now if you wish to leave the List altogether the Command would be

SIGNOFF PARKINSN

I hope I have this in a readable manner that makes sense.......

All the best .................... murray