 Ivan Suzman        49/39/36       [log in to unmask]   :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses           deg. F   :-)
(((((((((((((((((((((((((listfolks)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
)))))

FIrst , I know you kind folks are generous and want to solve this problem
for the moment
and all that, but  at same time, I feel really awkward.

It's almost better if you folks make pledges to Janet,  in case nothing
else
works out, but don't actually send money yet.

What I have asked the City for , many times,is what I am wondering about.
 COuld the City of Portland "hire" me to work for its health department ,
its social services department, or its school department, in EXCHANGE for
my property tax?

Just imagine the work I could do for the approx $200.00 a month that this
property is taxed.  I could writ PD flyers for the agency on aging, I
could write public service announcements for the local TV and radio
stations, I could do in-services with the public health nurses, I could
help to survey the high-rises for the elderly, to look for persons
needing treatment, i could work with the street clinic or with the
clinics at the Hospitals to identify persons in need of possible
treatment, I could work with those who are trying to open a aPD
Information Center at Maine Medical Centrer or somewhere in Portland.  I
could helpdo
genetic screening llike Boston is doing, or  raise money for PD
research!!

Or I could usem stage experience and help to host a gala fundraiser for
Parkinson's  Research.
It would be another reason to keep my tuxedo ready for multiple uses!

In sum...it seems to me that there could be an understanding instead of a
property war that is
draining me, about my taxes and sewer bypass fees, that would be very
legitimate.

Medicaid caps my income at $708.00 per month,. $21.-00 ov er the $687.00
limit. That's why I am caught in this horrible state of poverty all the
time. Today I had to get emergency oil, so after an all-day battle, the
CIty finally came out and put 25 gallons of heating oil in my cellar oil
tank.  I had tosign to pay
back the $17.16, once I have it.   Also my new caregiver who lives here,
Evan, drove me to the food bank at the Congregational CHurhc, since as
usual, I am out of funds til  my check comes in DEc. 3rd.

THe dilemma I am caught in is a nightmare so i try to just live one day
at a time and be grateufl for my beautiful home and for the small things.

The City might still back down and give me an unconditional tax exemption
without you folks paying them if the right person calls the powers that
be.  Maybe Mr. Fox or Mr. Ali or someone else in our PD-family could make
a call to Portland City Hall.

I really hate living in this state of pressure! It seems so mad and
unnecessary.Tonioght I was so
drained.

I also feel like just to give them money is to let them go on unchanged,
and not to alter the balance so that people like me get the opportunity
to play a useful role in the towns we live in. After all, I was a
Professor of anatomy, and really don't want to waste that backgroun

How about if you folks write a letter to the CIty Mangaer  (Robert
Ganley)  The CIty's switchboard is USATel no. (207) 874-8300.

I hope none is in strong disagreement with me, but anyhow, this is my gut
telling me what to tell you.

Finally, I just want to say that I wish the List could act quickly.
There is too mucch IVAN on the Lilst
and everyone else needs i t more than I d o, especialllly the nebies.

Ivan