----------
From: Leo Fuhr <[log in to unmask]>
To: Linda J Herman <[log in to unmask]>; Barbara Blake-Krebs
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Thanksgiving 1999 and hope for the future
Date: Tuesday, November 23, 1999 9:26 AM

As I sit at my computer this morning, I am amazed at the blessings in my
life.  After weeks of dry weather, the sky has opened and rain is coming
down and restoring the soil with moisture.  I feel like the dry earth must
feel when the rain washes down.  I am showered with encouragement from my
friends who, like me, struggle to find the silver lining to the cloud of
Parkinson's disease.

This same month, two years earlier, when I heard my neurologist tell me,
"You may have Parkinson's disease, although at 47, you're too young.", I
felt like I had just been punched in the stomach. I'd never known anyone
with Parkinson's disease and as the doctor talked to me and my husband
about the medication he was prescribing, the probable 15-20 good years most
people with Parkinson's enjoy, the numerous new surgical interventions
being tried........I only half heard his words.  I was relieved the MRI,
blood tests, etc. ruled out stroke, tumor or other deadly diagnoses, but
"Why did I have Parkinson's disease?"

Two years later in November 1999 I still have no definate answer to the
question,  "Why do I have Parkinson's?"  What I know about Parkinson's has
grown ten fold.  I have met people with Parkinson's.  People my parents'
age or in their 50's have been at the support group I attend.  People my
own age have been "introduced" via the PIEN(Parkinson's Information
Exchange Network) and I have "met" more young onset Parkinson's through
reading their stories in national magazines, especially since the PEOPLE
magazine article interviewing Michael J. Fox, who is even younger than me
and has had the disease since age 30.  All of us have things in common.

What do we have in common?  We have been diagnosed with a chronic,
incurable brain disease.  We are not sure what or how this disease will
effect us, our families, our communities.  But one thing each of us must
have in order to keep getting up and facing each day is the support of
others and the hope that the future holds promise of
treatment/cause/prevention/cure of Parkinson's.

Just today, 11/23/99 one of the pwp(people with Parkinson's) that posts
messages to PIEN sent information about the decade transplant survival of
implanted cells in the brain of a pwp.  Not only has the pwp seen
improvement in his disease symptoms, but also new imaging mapping of the
brain of the pwp compared to brains of control people shows that the
transplanted cells of ten years ago are thriving and surviving.  Now talk
about your hopes and your improvement and your successful
surgery.........WOW.......this is great news for pwp and for research in
brain disease!

When I sit down with family this Thanksgiving 1999, I am thankful for the
blessings that shower down on me like the rain falls on the parched ground.
 I want to soak up the blessings of love, health, prosperity, well being
and that all important blessing of HOPE.  For without hope, my life and
yours would not be worth anything.

Wishing you and yours a HAPPY THANKSGIVING filled with hope and blessings.

Jeanette Fuhr:)