Hi,
Mortgage is all paid off.
Resident and owner since 1985 in this house.
1997-8 taxes , interest and fees due:$1451 . Tax lien by City scheduled
to foreclose Dec, 17, 1999.
1998-9 taxes  $2300 (approx.) LIened this past June, scheduled to
foreclose in Dec, 2000.
1999-0 taxes  $2,300  (approx.) First 50% overdue since September.
The 97-98 taxes each year are due in September (50%), and in the
following March (50%),
and must be paid by June to avoid lien..  Liens foreclose 18 months
later.

Sewer bypass fees approx 150/yr.  Lien for $150 scheduled to foreclose in
February, 2000.
City has just proposed, if I agree to their conditions, to stop all sewer
 bypass
charges beginning with 1997. THese are callled "Portland Availability" on
the Water District bills.

A City Councillor called me today (Kane) and is talking of  a
deal.(reduction).

The Maine Human Rights Commission vote on Dec. 13th, IF
it indicates discrimination or illegal statements by the City lawyers,
may force a much better deal .

No savings, Just monthly checking account.
Medicaid caps income/mo at approx. $708 max.
Income is SSDI $687/mo x 12 =  $8300/yr (approx).

Ivan
:-)

On Sun, 21 Nov 1999 21:14:43 EST Paul Lauer <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>Ivan or anyone: I don't quite understand what action is taking place.
>I'm not
>an attorney but I understand a little about mortgagees and taxes and
>their
>delinquencies and consequences thereof. Mortgages get foreclosed. But
>lenders
>hold mortgages, not cities, so if the city is involved in the action
>it seems
>to me it can't be a foreclosure. Cities are involved in taxes. As best
>know, cities create liens when taxes are unpaid and then sell the
>liens at
>public auctions to private individuals who then become (in effect)
>lenders
>and are entitled to foreclose and take the property if the lien debt
>is not
>paid. Neither of these two scenarios occur overnight. How long has
>this been
>going on. If the debt is a tax lien, is the city foreclosing. For what
>years
>are the taxes delinquent and how much each year. Also, even after a
>foreclosure or a tax lien sale, the debtor still has a period of time
>subsequent (usually 30 days) to redeem, meaning he/she can still pay
>off the
>debt and not lose the property. think those of us with even some
>little
>knowledge could give better advice if the story came through a little
>clearer
>with more facts and less emotion (sorry Ivan - but facts help
>understanding
>more)
>
>Paul H. Lauer

 Ivan Suzman        49/39/36       [log in to unmask]   :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses           deg. F   :-)