Camilla (through Janet although I don't quite understand the tricky
logistics):

Ivan is absolutely correct. He did not ask for the money. I know that
absolutely because it was I who started the appeal a few days ago.

I don't understand why a gift( which can't by any stretch that I'm aware of),
should be characterized as income by anyone, especially if the donors are not
claiming any kind ofcharitable deduction for the gift. Taking the thought to
the absurd, does Ivan have to suffer a reduction in his assistance based in
the value of his birthday or Christmas presents? What about the value of Pro
Bono legal advice? I think the absurdity of the thought begins to show
through the examples. My check is in the mail(as they say) and I would
suggest that anyone else thinking of contributing do the same until someone
who knows the correct answer (Ivan perhaps?) posts it to the list. If Ivan,
then it would also be helpful to address
camilla's comment about the 80% reduction in taxes since Camilla mentions it
in her firsr post but not the second in reporting her telephone conversation.

Ervi's suggestion about the method of transmitting the money would be more
difficult to implement since it would require that anet first deposit the
checks (with all the headaches of exchange) and then make out her own. It
would affect the quantity of money available and also be a hassle for Janet.

I made the suggestion out of compassion, hoping that enough people would feel
the same way, forward the money to Janet who would forward it to Ivan at the
appropriate time IF AND WHEN HE WANTED IT. I'm certainly not trying to impose
my will on anyone and If the whole idea goes sour, I'm sorry. I am somewhat
of a type A personality but one would have to be George Patton multiplied by
Rudy Giuliani to controlthevaried personalities on the list.

Happy thanksgiving

Paul H. Lauer