Barbara is back after C-spine surgery and is now wearing a neck brace to
allow better healing.  The problem arises at night when she sleeps; she
kicks and screams akin to a tantrum, but she rotates about 90 degrees
and slips out of bed.   We talked about and decided that a bed rail
might solve the problem, so we ordered one reasonably priced from
Penny's catalogue in the internet, and it was very easy to install.  It
basically is a rail that is affixed onto a spring lock and slips under
the mattress to hold it in place, but it does not slide down like in a
crib.

When Barb needs to get up in the middle of the night, she is often even
too weak to push the quilt off, ergo she rings a bell that she found,
but mostly calls out for help.  I'd open one and then two eyes, release
the spring on each side of the rail, and remove it, and assist with
walking to the bath room, and remake the bed while waiting.  I'd take
her back, replace the covers, and reposition the rail with the button
spring lock.  That seems to work, even though my sleep is broken more
than once every night.

Barb calls that arrangement a decrease in the quality of life, and is
not content with that.  I mentioned less desirable alternatives like a
hospital bed with rails that can go up and down, and that along with a
new $1K mattress is not appealing.  Nor is the idea of a night
attendant, nurse assistant, aide, or whatever, though we do now have a
companion two days a week, and an irreplaceable daughter who's making up
for her difficult teen years.  Are there other viable solutions?
Michel Margosis
'Carpe Diem'