From: Bonnie Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, November 22, 1999 11:13 AM
Subject: Re: Sinemet & blood sugar questions

Dear Jennifer:

As I had never heard that Sinemet can cause an elevation with the blood
sugar levels, I asked Dr. Lieberman about it.  He said that Sinemet does NOT
cause an elevation of glucose levels.

To answer your second question, some people, particularly early on in their
illness, can get by with little or no Sinemet.  Some can benefit from one of
the agonist and some can feel the benefit of taking amantadine to control
symptoms.  Unfortunately, there is no other drug like Sinemet, which helps
replace the lost chemical of dopamine.  Most PWP will need Sinemet, sooner
or later, to control the symptoms of PD.

Regards,

Bonnie Cunningham, R.N.
Patient Services Director
NPF