From: Michel Margosis +ADw-michelmarg+AEA-EROLS.COM+AD4-
To: +ADw-PARKINSN+AEA-LISTSERV.UTORONTO.CA+AD4-Sent: 22. november 1999 04:47

Subject: Re: Entacapone vs Tolcapone

+AD4- Gil Lieberman wrote:
+AD4-
+AD4- +AD4- Would someone please explain the difference between Entacpone(Comtan)
+AD4- +AD4- and Tolcapone (Tasmar)?
+AD4- +AD4- As I understand it, both are ComT inhibitors.But what are the
+AD4- +AD4- differences,and advantages and disadvantages of each?
+AD4- +AD4- For what stages of PD are these drugs recommended?
+AD4-
+AD4- Tasmar (Tolcapone) was found to be toxic and sevral times caused
+AD4- fatalities by damaging the liver. At this time, those still using it have
+AD4- to be tested every two weeks.
+AD4- Comtan (Entacapone) was recently approved by the FDA for essentially the
+AD4- same therapy, and so far has been found to be efficacious without serious
+AD4- adverse effects.
+AD4-
+AD4- Michel