Greg asked:
>I realize from reading the past posts on this subject that it has been =
>thoroughly dealt with, but everthing seems based on personal experience =
>and opinion.  I need to know if anyone has any information from a study =
>or a medical professional that will corroborate these opinions that =
>PWP's have on stress.

Greg:

Dopamine is one of the catecholamines. Stress invokes the activation of the adrenal gland's
production and utilization of epinephrine(adrenalin), which, in turn, stimulates the processes
that release the glucose needed for the energy for fight or flight. The amino acid tyrosine (or
its parent, phenylalinine, are the source of both dopamine and epinephrine. Obviously, if the
production of epinephrine is speeded up, the route to dopamine production will experience a
slowdown. The more extreme the stress, the more the dopamine dependent parkinsonian will have
movement shut down. As PD advances the simplest acts can produce freezing. My husband, for
example, finds something as simple as getting dressed very stressful, and a trip to the doctor
will bring on an instant freeze from a fully medicated state.

As for scientific references, perhaps the following abstract will help:

The physiological measurement of acute stress (public speaking) in bank employees
AUTHOR: Bassett, J R; Marshall, P M; Spillane, R
International Journal of Psychophysiology. - 5, p.265- 273, 1987

ABSTRACT
An evaluation of a number of non-invasive physiological measures of stress was conducted, using
bank employees attending a two-week residential course. The stressor involved was the
preparation and delivery of a 15-min public lecture. The physiological parameters measured were
urinary excretion rates of noradrenaline (NA), adrenaline (A), dopamine and cortisol, the ratio
of NA A, salivary cortisol levels, heart rate and blood pressure. Measurements were taken at
08.30, 10.30, 12.30, 15.30 and 17.30 h on the day of the public lecture and on the following
(control) day. The public lectures were given between 10.30 and 12.30 h. The urinary excretion
rates of adrenaline and cortisol were significantly elevated immediately following, but not
before, the public lectures. The ratio NA A was significantly decreased and the salivary
cortisol levels were significantly increased both immediately before and after the public
lecture. Urinary excretion rates of noradrenaline and dopamine, blood pressure and heart rate
were unchanged by the stressor. Measurement of salivary cortisol levels, as well as providing a
simple, stress free, non -invasive collection procedure, more closely reflects in time the
changes in plasma levels of the hormone, not suffering from the large lag-time involved with
urinary hormone measurements. Salivary cortisol measurement would appear to be the measurement
of choice in human stress studies where individual stress factors are to be identified and
studied. The significance of the stress-induced elevation in cortisol and catecholamine levels
in the link between illness and occupational stress is discussed. (Journal abstract)

REFERENCE: Data Copyright by Worksafe Australia, 1996.
NATIONAL OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY COMMISSION
Copyright © Commonwealth of Australia, 1999

Martha