Mary Smith,

I too had a pallidotomy six years ago.  Since that time I have learned a
lot about pallidotomies.  A year or so ago I posted a note titled, ALL
PALLIDOTOMIES ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL.  This was after attending a
Pallidotomy Accord meeting of neurosurgeons at Princeton Univ.  As I
listened to their reports I realized there was a vast difference between
the results most all of the neurosurgeons were reporting and the results
reported by Dr. Iacono of Loma Linda.

It seems the other doctors were content to place the lesion within 3 mm of
the target, whereas Dr. Iacono places the lesion within 1mm of the
target.  In the case of a pallidotomy a couple of mm can make a big difference.

Dr. Iacono will occasionally redo a pallidotomy that has been misplaced.

Emory does generally have a good reputation for doing
pallidotomies.  However, I am afraid they are often more interested in
their micro-electrode recordings for the purposes of research than in the
individual patient.

If you would like more info e-mail me directly or give me a call 412-650-6812

Don Berns

Don Berns                       Karen W. Berns
B.S.M.E., clay pot,             Assoc. Pastor
M. Div.,Wounded Healer, Pleasant Hills Community
P.D., D. Min.                   Presbyterian Church
Parish Associate                199 Old Clairton Rd.
                                     Pittsburgh, PA 15236

Website for Don Berns pallidotomy story
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/pienet/hithgang/hitdonb1.html
                 Karen & Don Berns