Michael,

I don't know about the eyes and dopamine but probably Dr. Jaquie Winterkorn
does.  She just posted after al long absence on the list.  I'm glad to see
her back.  You do need to watch out for certain PD meds especially the
anticholenergics which can increase intraoccular pressure through another
mechanism.  Regarding the location of the dopamine outside of the substantia
nigra many other areas of the brain contain dopamine which do not affect
movement.  For instance in my field- psychiatry hallucinations are stopped
by dopamine blockers-  which can cause a PD like syndrome.  Also the gut
seems to produce a lot of dopamine as  Hans has already said.  I found the
following abstract:

Abstract
Substantial production of dopamine in the human gastrointestinal tract.
----
Authors:
Eisenhofer G , Aneman A , Friberg P , Hooper D , F~andriks L , Lonroth H ,
Hunyady B , Mezey E
Clinical Neuroscience Branch, National Institute of Neurological Disorders
and Stroke, National Institute of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892-1424,
USA. [log in to unmask]
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1997 Nov;82(11):3864-71

Article Number: UI98025005

Abstract: Considerable urinary excretion of dopamine metabolites indicates
that large amounts of dopamine are produced in unknown locations of the
body. This study assessed the contribution of mesenteric organs
(gastrointestinal tract, spleen, and pancreas) to the total body production
of dopamine in humans and examined the presence of the rate-limiting enzyme
for dopamine synthesis, tyrosine hydroxylase, in gastrointestinal tissues.
Blood sampled from an artery and portal and hepatic veins in eight subjects
and from arterial and renal venous sites in other subjects was analyzed for
plasma concentrations of dopamine and its metabolites. The activity and
distribution of tyrosine hydroxylase was also examined in tissue samples
from the stomach and duodenum. Higher concentrations of dopamine and its
metabolites in portal venous than arterial plasma indicated substantial
production of dopamine by mesenteric organs (12.0 nmol/min) amounting to
42-46% of the renal removal of circulating dopamine metabolites. Tissue
samples showed immunoreactive tyrosine hydroxylase in nonneuronal cell
bodies and detectable levels of tyrosine hydroxylase in nonneuronal cell
bodies and detectable levels of tyrosine hydroxylase enzyme activity. The
results show that mesenteric organs produce close to half of the dopamine
formed in the body, most of which is unlikely to be derived from sympathetic
nerves but may reflect production in a novel nonneuronal dopaminergic
system. "

As you can see the amount from any one place would be dwarfed by the total
amount of dopamine produced-  which is a problem in psychiatric research as
well.

Charlie