Michael,
I donut know if this is a solution which would work for  you or not.  When
one of my daughter's was small, she fell out of bed on a regular basis.  I
bought  a side rail that  just slipped under the  mattress (between the box
spring and mattress).   It was relatively easy to remove and it was
non-pemanent.  Granted, I was dealing with a  small child whose problem was
rolling over in her sleep; the side rail provided enough of  a signal that
she was at the edge to make her turn the other way.  It's worth  a try -- or
at least a thought.
Is Barbara's sleep problems temporary, possibly due to some medication from
her surgery or her pd meds?  You might want to discuss this with Barbara's
doctor.  I  have been known to have periods where I would wake up everyone
in the house screaming  with nightmares, sometimes several times a night.
My doctor (shrink not neuro)  gave me ativan for anxiety.  i am happy to
report that today if someone's sleep is disturbed. rarely am I the cause.
And  I  no longer begin each day asking my husband if I behaved myself the
previous night.

A brief word on the independence issue.  As a  pwp who is watching her
independence diminish quite rapidly,  I fight for every particle of
independence.  My family frequently  does  not understand why an
accommodation which to them (and the rest of the mobile world) seems
PERFECTLY reasonable, sets my blood boiling.  Sometimes I am able to
convince them of the errors of their ways; sometimes I just need more time
to adjust to the latest level of dependency; sometimes we battle it out
until one of the other two solutions rears it head.  I  won't "go gently
into that goodnight" of dependency.  The independence issue is one so
personal that it is very difficult for any one else to understand the
nuances of these accommodations. My husband of 27 years has difficulty with
this one and  he knows what makes me tick better than anyone,
Good  Luck,
Cathy
(50, 48, 46)