Cari,

There are some boards of directors made up of people who want their names
to be on the letterhead as a matter of prestige - and these are often
boards that you have to buy your way onto.
Other boards of directors want you for your mind and your effort - which is
the way it should be. When you join a board, you accept certain fiduciary
responsibilities, and you are expected to do the work necessary to meet
those responsibilities.  The DAPS (Dallas Area Parkinsonism Society) board,
to which I belong, also expects all of its members to be active on various
committees

My recommendation: Do your work as a board member conscientiously and well.
 Give what is expected of all members in terms of money (dues, raffle
tickets, etc.) and little more,  but less if you can't afford that.  If
they don't appreciate you or want you, wait until the time comes for you to
be re-elected to the board; part company, and you'll be the one who's
better off

Art