Lorraine Jeffe wrote:

> Stress seems to excerabate most things .... Does this have a lasting
> impact on PD. or does it have only a transitory one?

My symptoms get worse under stress, and after the stressful time is
past, the symptoms seem to return to their pre-stress level.  My
neurologist told me that this is what usually happens in PD. Whether
the symptoms return to exactly the pre-stress level or whether and
to what extent the stress has made the underlying neurodegeneration
worse is an important question that I don't think has been
researched.

There are lots of individual accounts of PD symptoms appearing for
the first time after highly stressful events. This would seem to
indicate stress has an impact. But no one has compared this to how
PD emerges when there is low stess.

Having PD is in itself stressful.  If stress makes the underlying
neurodegeration worse, then there would be a snowball effect.  So it
would be important to know whether the progression could be slowed by
psychological ways of dealing with the impact of stress, including
the stress of having PD itself.

Phil Tompkins
age 61/dx 1990
Hoboken NJ