From: "Fred & Ora McLellan" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Recipients list Suppressed" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Fw: Please read...important for your benefit surcharge e-mail!
        Prevent that say NO to BILL 602P!
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 22:28:44 -0500

I e-mailed to my Steny H. Hoyer of our local in MD.  Your case might be
different name depend on your local zip code, please check it out your local
name that you need to type and send e-mail to.  Click this URL:
http://www.house.gov/writerep    Thanks, Fred & Ora McLellan

Mine send to Steny H. Hoyer below:

Dear Honorable Steny H. Hoyer,
    I would like to tell you that I heard:
CNN has reported that within the next two weeks Congress is going to vote
on allowing telephone companies to CHARGE A TOLL FEE for Internet access.
What does it means?  Let explain it means: Every time we send a long
distance e-mail we will receive a long distance charge. This will get
costly.

WAIT, THERE'S MORE! IN ADDITION, The last few months have revealed an
alarming trend in the Government of the United States attempting to quietly
push through legislation that will affect your use of the Internet. Under
proposed legislation the U.S. Postal Service will be attempting to bilk
email users out of "alternate postage fees". Bill 602P will permit the
Federal Govt. to charge a 5 cent surcharge on every email delivered, by
billing Internet Service Providers at source. The consumer would then be
billed in turn by the ISP. Washington D.C. lawyer Richard Stepp is working
without pay to prevent this legislation from becoming law. The U.S. Postal
Service is claiming that lost revenue due to the proliferation of e-mail
costing nearly $230,000,000 in revenue per year. (Oh, isn't that too bad?)
You may have noticed their recent ad campaign "There is nothing like a
letter". Since the average citizen received about 10 pieces of email per day
in 1998, the cost to the typical individual would be an additional 50 cents
per day, or over $180 dollars per year, above and beyond their regular
Internet costs. Note that this would be money paid directly to the U.S.
Postal Service for a service they do not even provide.

The whole point of the Internet is democracy and non-interference. If the
federal government is permitted to tamper with our liberties by adding a
surcharge to email, who knows where it will end. You are already paying an
exorbitant price for snail mail because of bureaucratic inefficiency. It
currently takes up to 6 days for a letter to be delivered from New York to
Buffalo. If the U.S. Postal Service is allowed to tinker with email, it
will mark the end of the "free" Internet in the United States.

One congressman, Tony Schnell has even suggested a "twenty to forty
dollar per month surcharge on all Internet service" above and beyond the
government's proposed email charges. Note that most of the major newspapers
have ignored the story, the only exception being the Washingtonian which
called the idea of email surcharge "a useful concept whose time has come"
(March 6th, 1999 Editorial).

Please "No!" to Bill 602P.

Thanks,
Fred & Ora McLellan