I recently saw a documentary on Jacqueline du Pre, the cellist who died of
MS in 1987, having been diagnosed some 10 years before at the age of 32.
The documentary began with a summary of her life which included a comment on
the tragedy of such a great talent being cut short because of MS. The
program then spent the next 40 minutes on interviews with the cellist and
those who had had the privilege of knowing her.  It also included many
examples of her glorious playing. In the last couple of minutes MS was
mentioned once more, and a brief description given of its effects on Ms du
Pre and her abilities.  My 1st reaction was that for something that had such
a huge affect on her life MS was treated in a very offhanded way.  But after
some thought I realised that the director had got it right.  What was
important about Jacqueline du Pre was that she had a magnificent ability to
play the cello, not that MS ended it.  The tragedy would have been as
complete had she died in a motoring incident (a la Isadora Duncan) or choked
to death on a piece of bread (a la Mama Cass).  But in neither of those
cases would I expect the documentary to go into detail on car crash
statistics or the correct way to chew your food.

Which got me thinking about the way we monitor high profile PWP, and expect
them to use every photo opportunity as a platform to increase the knowledge
of PD.  Just as with each of us PD is part of their lives, not all of it.
So there will be times when it makes sense to mention PD and times when it
doesn't.  Since seeing that show I have also realised that, should I be
remembered for anything in 50 years time - I hope it will be for something
more than that I had Parkinson's Disease.

Dennis

Dennis Greene 50/dx 37/ onset 32
There's nothing wrong with me that fixing PD won't fix!
email - [log in to unmask]
Website - http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/
(most recent update -Nov 5, 1999)