Re Sir James question on Social Security. I am a former employee of SSA,
and have processed disability claims. You should go to your nearest
Social Security district office immediately to file your claim. There is
no need to get a lawyer at this point! Just go in and file as soon as
you can.
The law stipulates that your condition must prevent you from engaging in
substantial gainful activity for at least a 12-months from the time you
file. They will interview you concerning your condition, and ask you to
submit medical evidence from your doctors and any hospitals you were in.
Also, you must have enough quarters of coverage under social ecurity
employment, and your slef-employment counts. But they will check all
that out for you.
The 2 or 3-year "waiting period" you mention is very unusual, and
pertains to claimants who have been initially denied, refile for a
reconsideration, and then a hearing, etc. You might want a lawyer at the
hearing stage, but that's not a concern now at all.
Just go in now with your social security no., last year's
self-employment tax return, and file without delay this month. The
longer you wait, the longer it takes!
Good luck!