> Dear List Members:
>     I was dx. two years ago with PD.  My symptoms are rigidity and
> medication and have been taking the pills at 6hr. intervals.
> 7:30 a.m.
> 1:30 p.m.
> 7:30 p.m.
>     Does this dosage and time spacing sound ok?
>     Do I have to watch my protein intake with this medicine.? I asked
my
> pharmacist that question and she said only if your diet is high in
> protein that it will block the absorption of the medicine.
>     Any opinions from this wonderful list are appreciated.
>     Carol   45/45/2

Carol,

Nothing out of the ordinary here. I assume you are taking Sinemet CR,
the time release. Everyone is different with this disease, but my
neuro's direction is that Sinemet be taken at least a half hour before
eating and with a full glass of water. Some pharmacies indicate that it
should be taken with food, but this is the case if you are having
problems with nausea. You need to follow up with your neuro and ask
these questions.

Food does interfere with absorption, but my experience has been if I
take it a half hour before meals, it doesn't matter what I eat. I take
Sinemet 25/100 CR three times a day. Since I am still early in young
onset disease progression, my med schedule is pretty forgiving.

I have been on this dosage of Sinemet since diagnosis 3 years ago. It
took about a month to realize the max improvement. Two years ago I
started taking 0.25 mg of Permax 3 times a day for dystonia.

I'm curious as to the symptom of rigidity. Was this identified by your
neuro? I spent a year thinking I was suffering from rigidity only to
find it was dystonia when examined by a new neuro.

Hope this gives you some questions for your next office visit.

Phil Gesotti 50/46+/