Hi Group -

As most of you know, I post infrequently to this ListServe.  It is usually my
preference to keep on the quiet side unless there is worthwhile news to
report.  Well, that qualification has been met, and then some!

For newer subscribers, here is a brief introduction to me and my PD "story."
My name is Jim Finn and I've had Parkinson's Disease since age 31.  I am now
(ouch!) 51.  3 years ago I was given the chance to participate in an
experimental research project which involved the implantation of fetal
pig-cells in my brain.  To bring you "up to speed" read the online diary of
this procedure at the URL at the end of this note.

To continue; here's the latest update.

1) I just spoke with the attending neurologist.  As you know, I've been
pestering the bio-medical company to consider performing the surgery on the
other side.  Yes, results from the first operation have been that
encouraging.  Anyway, the decision on another operation will not be made
before August of 2000.  Here's why.  (I'm glad it was finally explained to
me.)  The group I am part of ("Phase 1") was used primarily to test the
safety aspects of this procedure and all received a unilateral implantation
of the pig cells.

Those people who had the implants as part of "Phase 2" got them bilaterally.
The last of those procedures was performed this past August.  It will take at
least a year to tabulate the results obtained by the "Phase 2" group.

In my diary, there is mention of the fact that I displayed bilateral
improvement even though I had ONLY the unitlateral operation.  Are you seeing
a picture?  Well, there is a possibility that a 2-sided surgery may not show
any improvement over that obtained from having just 1 side done.  Also, there
are questions about the safety of having the second operation performed at a
later time.  Will it set off immunological "alarms?"  Could it cause harm to
the original graft?  We just don't know. Remember, this is still
highly-experimental research!  Exciting, huh?

2) The preliminary results of the 36-month testing were just released.  They
show very little change over the past year.  (No major improvements over the
24-month point.)  This news is consistent with the way I've been feeling.
But, even more significant, no decline, either.  Hurray for US!  This is
obviously very important news.  Let's hope that this continues!

3) Since agreeing to work on this research I have not been allowed to try any
of the newer medications.  (Remember, I am better.  I am not cured.)  As you
know, several of them have been brought to market over the past 3 years.
Well, I've just been approved to start on Comtan.  That will begin in the
next couple of weeks.  Anyone care to share their results with it?

4) I have been approached by the "media" (I can hear you now, "Oh no, not
again!?"  Ha, ha) about the possibility of appearing on a related program.  I
don't have any details yet.

Here's that URL for Janet Paterson's important WebSite:

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/pienet/hithgang/hitjimf.html

Regards -

Jim Finn