Dear Nancy,
> i take sinemet 25/100 IM R 5 x day. package insert says blepharaspasms = sign
> of overdose. one eye twitches. dr. says overdose=contortions of entire face.
> i'm having dystonias in early   a.m. and   serious  off  periods. nancy
> spires

It would be helpful to know how long you have been taking Sinemet, and
how long diagnosed with PD. If you are having on-off fluctuations, it
will be increasingly important to make sure you take the Sinemet at
least 30 minutes before eating meals or snacks. If you are already doing
so, it sounds as though you are undermedicated rather than
overmedicated.

Regarding the dystonias, some physicians recommend quite large amounts
of vitamin E; not everyone receives benefit from vitamin E but some of
my clients have experienced fewer and milder dystonia after a week or
two of vit. E. I would also be sure you are getting sufficient calcium,
magnesium, and potassium daily. Lack of any of these can worsen
dystonia, as they are all involved in muscle movement. Calcium-fortified
orange juice is a good source of both calcium and potassium.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Medical nutrition therapy for Parkinson's disease
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Parkinson's disease: assessing and managing unique nutrition needs;"
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson'sdisease,"
J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/