Peripheral System and PD                             1 Dec 99
Thanks, Hans, for re-posting the piece on the enteric nervous
system, I missed it the first time around. If I recall correctly,
dopamine is a major product of the adrenal glands, and its main
effect is to increase blood circulation at times of stress. But
no doubt, dopamine mediates the numerous symptoms of autonomic
malfunction that appear in PD, and those symptoms can't be
blamed on degeneration of brain neurons because dopamine doesn't
cross the blood-brain barrier. Sinemet and other PD drugs do
seem to alleviate some of those autonomic symptoms (maybe), but
that leaves the riddle of why PD should affect organs outside
the brain, quite different from the substantia nigra, only
because they happen to secret dopamine. 'Tis a puzzlement.
Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694