  From: John Lawley
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 1999 10:04 AM
  Subject: Brain, gut and DBS

  Hi all,
      Very interesting posts thanks Hans and Charles. The human body never ceases to amaze me.
  Just when we think we get a bit of a handle on its workings, up turns a whole new(for me) fascinating angle of looking at it.

  >Gastrointestinal effects of PD attributable to the enteric system's
  >involvement in the disease include reflux, delayed gastric
  >emptying, and decreased motility.  Swallowing difficulties and
  >constipation, which have aspects falling under both voluntary and
  >involuntary control, may be the result of PD in both the brain and
  >the ENS.

  Since it appears that the dopamine produced in the Enteric Nervous System is largely responsible for the functioning of the gastro-intestinal tract:

  Does this mean that DBS does not affect this?
  Has anyone on the list who has DBS noticed any difference in gastrointestinal effects?
   I am particularly interested to hear if constipation has eased after DBS.
  Anyone care to comment?
   Erika.

  BTW has anyone heard from Janet? I miss her and hope she is well.