Like the others, I had no trouble getting my SSDI. Took only a few months & I got it retroactively 6 months.

I used a book called, DISABILITY HANDBOOK FOR SOCIAL SECURITY APPLICANTS,  HOW TO PROVE YOUR CLAIM FOR DISABILITY INSURANCE BENEFITS.

It was available from Physicians Disability Services, Inc., Box 827, Arnold, MD 21012  [ phone 410-974-1111]. I do not recall the price.

I would advise against a telephone interview by SSA, which they might suggest - make an appointment & show up in person in the most pathetic state you can muster.

You should keep in mind that all SSA offices are administered kind of independently , some by real SOB's.  Most, however, are not out to screw the applicants.  I agree you don't need a lawyer or a rep.

You won't get rich.  Good luck.

BBA [53,5]
Schooley's Mtn., NJ