On Tue 14 Dec, Phil Tompkins wrote:
> Bill Innanen wrote (see at end):
>

> > In a run/walk yesterday, I found a method of avoiding the dystonias
> > (which, in my ignorance, I've been referring to as "leg-locks"). This
> > involves stopping running the instant I feel the "tightening" in my
> > leg that precedes a leg-lock.  I noticed that the length of time I
> > rest by walking seemed (by a qualitative observation) to be directly
> > proportional to the subsequent time I was able to run before I had to
> > stop yet again.
> >
> > *********
> > Question:  Does heavy exercise deplete dopamine faster than normal?
> > *********
>
> . . . .

Hello Bill,  I want to pick up two points from your exchange with Phil;
1/ I doubt that you are experiencing dystonia in your leg - what you are
experiencing is straight-forward muscle cramp. If you check back over
the last few days of correspondence you will find several useful
definitions of Dystonia. In addition, your description of running time
proportional to resting time is also typical of cramp.

Re: Heavy exercise and Dopamine consumption the answer is 'Yes, but only
to a very limited extent.' : You first have to be sure that you know which
stage of your tablet's life. If you are in the ingestion area (that is,
you have just swallowed, and the drug is in the lower intestine  or the
blood stream, then there will be a reduction in time. As a rough estimate
you may get a 10%-20% reduction in the 1/2 to 1 hour time that it takes to
get the levodopa into the brain. From then on, however, the timing is, I
believe unaffected by effort. This is because the role of Dopamine is to
provide a suitably conductive pathway for the electrical message ,which
contains the real information. The Dopamine production rate is not
related to effort.
Regards,

--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>  (59/39/34)